This page is for posts, articles and translations about Jetsun Tāranātha (1575-1634), also known as Drölwé Gönpo (sgrol ba’i mgon po) and Künga Nyingpo Tashi Gyaltsen Palzangpo (kun dga’ snying po bkra shis rgyal mtshan dpal bzang po) was one of the most amazing and accomplished Tibetan Buddhist masters of the Jonang, Shangpa Kagyu and Rime traditions. Greatly revered by Buddhist masters of all the major Tibetan Buddhist lineages, such as the 19th Century Rime masters, Nyingma Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo and Kagyu Jamgon Kongtrul the Great, Tāranātha was a highly accomplished scholar, translator, historian and practitioner. Tāranātha’s works on Kālacakra are still widely used today within the Jonang tradition and practitioners of Dro Kālacakra. As I discovered when translating some of these texts, Jamgon Kongtrul copied his Kālacakra texts word for word in his Treasuries! For more on his lifestory, see his online bio by Dr. Cyrus Stearns at Treasury of Lives.
Texts and Translations
Here is a recent short video teaching on Jetsun Tāranātha by Jonang lama, Khentrul Rinpoche:
- David Templeman, Taranatha’s Life of Krsnacarya/Kanha, Library of Tibetan Works and Archives, 1989
- David Templeman, ‘Memories of a Past Life’, in Religions of Tibet in Practice, edited by Donald S. Lopez Jr., Princeton University Press, 1997
- Jo Nang Taranatha, The Origin of the Tara Tantra, translated and edited by David Templeman, Library of Tibetan Works and Archives, first published in 1981, revised edition 1995.
- Lama Chimpa, Alaka Chattopadhyaya and Debiprasad Chatterji, Taranatha’s History of Buddhism in India, Delhi : Motilal Banarsidass, 1990
- Taranatha, The Essence of Other Emptiness, Snow Lion, 2007
- Taranatha, The Golden Rosary of Tara, Shang-Shung Edizioni, 1985
- Taranatha, The Life of Padmasambahava, Shang Shung Edizioni, 2005
- Taranatha, The Seven Instruction Lineages, translated and edited by David Templeman, Library of Tibetan Works and Archives, 2002
- Taranatha’s commentary on the Heart Sutra – A study, translation and critical edition by Adele Tomlin, Library of Tibetan Works and Archives, 2017.
- Taranatha the Historian, by David Templeman, The Tibet Journal, Vol. 6, No. 2 (Summer 1981), pp. 41-46 (see: https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/43300014.pdf)